Friday, June 5, 2009

DAR

Last night I did a presentation for our local chapter of the DAR. This is a small group of very nice ladies who appreciate my willingness to provide them with historical information.

We had only about 8 people but the amazing thing was that four of them were descendents of Deborah Sampson, the person whose story I was telling that night. I was pleased to see them taking notes which meant I was providing them with information they didn't already have.

I'm giving serious consideration to starting a small (very small) business doing this for other organizations. The whole reason I started reenacting was to educate the public and there's only so much I can do at actual events. This will give me a fun way to get information out to interested people and make some money for our regiment.

When I told a friend about my engagement last night and my thoughts about starting the business, she told me I was crazy. Single mother working full-time, taking classes and involved in a demanding hobby. Why do I want to add more to my already full plate?

Life, to me, is to be lived. I'm happiest when I'm feeling busy and needed. I can't imagine having a dead end job and coming home every night to an empty house with nothing to do but watch television or surf the internet. Life gives you many opportunities but very little time. I choose to use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment