Monday, August 3, 2009

A wedding

My eldest daughter, Lindsay will be getting married in less than three weeks. I'm very happy for her and her fiancee. They're both mature young people with good jobs and I believe they are prepared for marriage.

I went through a mini mid-life crisis when I heard the news last year. Was I ready to be someone's mother-in-law at age 44? Grandchildren can't be too far behind despite Lindsay's frequent reassurances she's not ready for parenthood.

The idea slowly sunk in and the wedding plans forged ahead. A date, a dress, a venue, the bridal party. It all came together. I found a dress that doesn't make me look like Laura Bush and today finally found shoes and jewelry.

So now the wedding is 19 days away and I'm petrified.

Our life together rolls through my head like a schmaltzy Kodak commercial. Her first cries, kindergarten, the trip we took together to New Jersey and Disney World, just the two of us....they all pass through my mind evoking bittersweet emotions with each one. I grieved when she went away to college and rejoiced when she lived with me two summers ago when she did her externship. And then grieved again when she went back to college.

I will try my best to not cry as my son walks me down the aisle to my seat at the church. I will choke back the tears when she and her husband are pronounced man and wife. And I will dance with joy at her reception knowing I have raised a beautiful, brilliant woman who has a promising life ahead of her and a good man with whom to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment